+20 Augmented Reality (AR) global market and user statistics for 2022
1.The global augmented reality market size was $4.16 billion in 2020. The market is projected to grow from $6.12 billion in 2021 to $97.76 billion in 2028 at a CAGR of 48.6% in the 2021-2028 period (source).
2. The biggest brands investing in AR: Apple, Google, Nvidia.
3. In 2022, there will be an estimated 1.1 billion mobile AR users worldwide (Statista).
4. There will be more than 100 million AR users in US before the end of 2025.
5. AR adoption is tracking with the mobile usage boom – by 2025, nearly 75% of the global population and almost all smartphone users will be frequent AR users.
6. 65% of AR consumers around the world and across generations use AR to have fun.
7. The majority are discovering AR through social/communications apps.
8. Interacting with products that have AR experiences leads to a 94% higher conversion rate.
9. Gen Z / Millennials are both 71% more likely to use AR all the time vs. older generations.
10. Older generations are nearly 20% more likely to view AR primarily as practical.
11. There are 100 million consumers shopping with AR online and in-stores.
12. AR-related patents in the US grew more than 3x over the last 10 years.
13. 5G will accelerate AR technology adoption with benefits like increased download speeds and accessibility.
14. People who frequently use AR with their family and friends are 50% more likely to pay attention to a brand.
15. Brands are 41% more likely to be considered if they have a branded AR experience.
16. Over half of people want to use AR technology to assess products, allowing for a risk-free try-before-you-buy experience.
17. Nearly 3 in 4 consumers say they’re willing to pay more for a product that promises the total transparency that AR can provide.
18. AR-guided purchases led to a 25% decrease in returns.
19. Social is driving AR adoption. People want to share their favourite Brand’s AR experiences.
20. AR interactions drive conversion. Interacting with products that have AR experiences leads to a 94% higher conversion rate as individuals can better assess them and feel connected with brands.
21. Consumers take over 4.5 billion AR photos and /or videos daily.
22. 74% of consumers believe that AR will be even more important in their lives in the next 5 years.
23. Over 50% of AR developers have under a year of experience.
Drivers accelerating the adoption of AR
- Consumers are becoming creators
- Desire to increase utility
- Increased mobile usage through COVID-19
- Keeping things fun
- The availability of smartphones with cameras
Barriers slowing the adoption of AR
- Lack of content
- Industry-wide limited enablement & engagement with the developer/creator community
- Need for a frictionless experience
Don’t know what AR is?
Here’s a great example from Lenovo, our event partner:
Congratulations, @Lenovo for winning 3 Webby Awards with the creative & innovative MLKonMLK #AR campaign! via @TheWebbyAwards https://t.co/tjS9hW8Nx6
How it was made: https://t.co/R8wjF9Gt9Y #AugmentedReality pic.twitter.com/pZ6Ix0AKlZ
— BRAND MINDS (@brand_minds) May 3, 2022